Wednesday, May 1, 2013

 
Oscar says I need to sew more or he is going to turn my ironing board into a cat tree, permanently.
 
Happy May Day to Everyone;)
 
Thought I would take a moment and sit down to write before the day gets busy.  I have been up since 2am....my sleep schedule is all of kilter.  Oh well, I enjoy the peace of the early morning hours.
 
Speaking of peace....
 
I have whittled my scraps down to this.  I cut everything into 3.5" squares, and tossed what was smaller than that.  I think it's an accomplishment in and of itself to have what used to be a huge tote full of scraps worked down to one more scrap quilt's worth of goods.
 
I also managed to get this little treat put together this last week...
 
It's just a little clutch sized pouch to put in my purses to catch some of the floaties roaming about just out sight at the bottom of the purse;)  I made a bunch of these a couple of years ago, but never kept one for myself.  It's about time;)
 
 
Spring is slowly moving in here the Great North West.  I had to net in the balcony so the cats wouldn't wander off to the next door neighbor's place.  Made me mad last year when she would almost encourage Oscar to come over to her side.  I didn't appreciate that one bit.  Problem solved.
 
I've got my stash of canning jars ready and waiting for the canning season to get under way.  Seven dozen quart jars, six dozen pint jars, and uncounted small jelly jars.  Starting to stock up on pectin.  Sugar and vinegar are next on the list.  Gotta check the supplies for bands and lids.  Found out the hard way things rust really fast up here.
 
Anywho, laundry is calling and dishes are complaining.
 
Happy Quilting to All, and to All a Good Day!!
 
 

7 comments:

Liriopia said...

I've found that lots of scrap patterns call for 2-1/2" sizes. I decided not to cut any scraps less than 2" nor over 5" and then keep to a whole size and a half size. It's helped alot. I use all the smaller pieces to make "made fabric" ala Victoria Findlay on the "Sew We Quilt" blog. It's working really well. I might just have to cut some whole pieces, LOL.

Liri

a good yarn said...

It's a terrific feeling to have a big bag of scraps whittled down into useful sized pieces. I love those little purses for your handbag. Can't wait to see all your efforts with perserving.

canuckquilter said...

Cute kitties. I can see why you want them safely at home. You have quite a lovely "landscaped" balcony. Yay for taming the scraps!

Michele T said...

Whew! I thought that you were going to say that Oscar was going to use your ironing board as a scratching pole!

Beth said...

Well Oscar does take his job as quilt inspector/tester seriously. I am sure it is his way of motivating you, LOL
Getting scraps into usable sizes really does feel good! Like your bag.

Ruth said...

I love the pouch! I have a couple pouches in my purse and they do help a lot. Getting scraps under control is a big job - and a never ending one.

Katie said...

Your kitties are so photogenic. (Black cats? Not so much...) The porch is looking fantastic and the scrap taming looks great. And it looks like they're already turning into blocks...mine could be so lucky... It is definitely change from a super dry climate to such a wet one, but you'll get the hang of it! :)