Tuesday, May 8, 2012



Well, the youngest of my offspring has flown the coop as of this morning.  Boarded the bus for Portland with a final destination of Job Corps in Astoria.  He will be gone for at least 8 weeks before he gets a weekend furlough pass to come home for a visit.  He will be in school there for up to two years.

I am very happy for him.  He has come a long way in the past year here with us.  Hopefully some of what we tried to teach him will stick.  He's got a bright future ahead of himself.

I held back the tears until after I dropped him off.  He was stoic as he got on the bus, trying to be a man in front of everyone.  I understand.  I still gave him a great big hug;)

The house is quiet already.  I loved having him around even if there were times I wanted to boot him in the butt;)  But I guess that's how raising children goes.   I knew that my job was to do what I could to prep him for going out on his own one day.  I have to stick to what I preach and let him go off and spread his wings when he felt he was ready.  And it's okay to cry a bit...but they are happy-for-him tears;)

Happy Everything!!

6 comments:

---"Love" said...

Oh yes, how well I remember those feelings when we left my first son at his college dorm the first time; he wouldn't even let me go up to his room --- only his dad! But he survived, and so did I! I'm betting both of you will too. He's a good looking kid with a great smile; he will make his mark in life just fine! Try not to worry too much! You've done your best by him! ---"Love"

Liriopia said...

My Mom used to tell me "Children are not yours, they are only lent to you." Letting them go is what you are supposed to do. You are a good mom.

Liri

Ruth said...

Liri is exactly right. It is hard not to worry, but doesn't do any good anyway. He will learn a lot in his new venture and will make his own way. Sometimes, it is hard to watch and sometimes they make us very proud! Hopefully, more of the latter.

Marsha said...

A parents job is two fold, one to give them roots, the other wings. Yes it is hard but you will be so proud as he grows from a boy into a man, at his own pace, and learning from his own mistakes. You did good!

Katie said...

Hmmm...after everything that's been said before me, I don't know that I can touch that! But I wish him the best and I'd be willing to bet that after the first few days, those 8 weeks will go fast and he'll be home for a visit before you know it. In the meantime...quilt! (Best therapy ever, right?)

Beth said...

It is so hard to let them go. I wish him the very best and much success and happiness.
For you hugs and hopes that the next 8 weeks pass quickly.