But, through trial comes progress...at least in a different direction.....
The hippo fabric was picked up on the trip my mom and I took down the Oregon coast earlier this year. Hippos are my favorite!! I purchased a yard of it just to have it. The green was purchased from Hobby Lobby a couple of months ago, the black...about 9 years ago in a kit for something else that never got made, the oranges....gathered here and there, the white on white...Joann's.
After much thought and mathematical mind bending, I figured the best block size to get as much of the yard of hippo fabric was to cut it into 10 1/2" squares. I was got 12 of those squares, with about 3" left over. I dumped the orange because the "orange" in the hippo fabric is so "very ripe tangerine" that trying to make the oranges I have work would probably miss the mark in the overall design.
This was my initial trial layout. I really like the modern quilts that use the white for sashings and such, but you have to have just the right balance to pull it off. I don't think this is the right quilt for the white. It made the white elephant way too predominant....and the last thing I need is a "white elephant" quilt! LOL;)
But not being one to give up on possibilities, I auditioned the black and white circle print on both colorways. I decided to go with the green as the alternating blocks in the end.
I have the alternating blocks almost done and should be able to post pics tomorrow evening. This will be another quilt for me along the lines of the Skulls and Tatoos quilt I finished last week. A girl's gotta keep her faves no matter what anybody else thinks;)
That's it...I'm burnt, toast, done.....for the night anyway;) I have an interview this Tuesday for a job that would really fit what I am looking for. I will keep you all posted as to the outcome. Wish me luck!!