Monday, November 29, 2010

There, I did it....I decorated for Christmas;)

The Hubby and I haven't celebrated Christmas in years.  Between economic pressures and family stress, it was the last thing we felt like doing.  All this talk about profit margins and lack of consumer spending in recent years past made it feel like the only reason Christmas existed was to pad the pockets of corporate money grubbers.  Sorry, Charlie, no go.  Add to that the "drama" with the the ex and the lack of communication with the kids during that time.  Bah Humbug was our Motto.

But, for some reason, this year I feel the spirit urging me on.  I have a feeling it has to with the re-bonding my children and I have had recently, the birth of a grand-child, and the general feeling of well-being my husband are feeling right now (sans occasional seasonal colds and such).

I know we just had Thanksgiving, and the Christmas thing is all about giving, but I feel a sense of graciousness that I have long neglected. 

To me, Christmas should be a day of silent, or at least quiet, thankfulness.  A day of remembrance of the gifts that have been bestowed on us by the heavens above.  Gifts like good health, serenity, and peace of mind.   I think long ago, Christmas was a time after the harvest had been completed, the profits measured, and the trophies brought home in wrapped packages of guilded frivolity.  Good year, good gifts.  Bad year, no gifts.  I think it's absurd to put Christmas on a credit card.

On to the sappy stuff....
I am thankful for...

My Hubby...who has proven over the past year that he took our marriage vows seriously...better or worse, in sickness and in health.  He stepped up to the position of "head of household" and got us through the worst of times, both financially and mentally.

My Children..who, even after all they have been through, still have open minds and open hearts.

My grand-child...who, even though he is unaware, rekindled my faith in our future.

My mother...who finally, after all these years, said out loud that she appreciates me and thinks that I am a "good daughter".

 My health....even though I have struggled over what some would deem "inconsequential" hardships, I have brought myself from not being able to walk through the grocery store to being able to hold a part time job.  It may not pay much, but the self esteem it's bringing is priceless.

I'm going to end this post with thanks to all of you have been there in spirit and in word over the past year.
I wish you all the best of years, and a Very Merry Christmas.

Happy Quilting!!


7 comments:

Marsha B said...

Very well put, you have lots to be thankful for. Enjoy your new found Christmas spirit and enjoy all of your loved ones! That is what Christmas truely is about.

Sandy said...

Marsha is right -- you express yourself very well. That 'Christmas Spirit' is an elusive thing. Glad you have been able to embrace it this year. You have a wonderful family who love and appreciate you. What more could you want.

Sandy

---"Love" said...

As I've read each of your blogs over the past year, I have noticed a good change in your writing as you have shared your life with us. That's what happens sometimes when you have a husband who loves you, and certainly the birth of that first grandchilds makes all of us look at life differently; somehow it give us hope for the future. Even though there still have been problems along the way, I'd say you've had a good year. May you experience the true meaning of Christmas this year; I think you are on the way. ---"Love"

Liriopia said...

A Charlie Brown Christmas Tree! I think that sums up everything you have written about!

Liri

Katie said...

It's so good to see you're looking at the bright side of things. Too often I think we all are guilty of looking at the bad and forgetting the good. And I love your Christmas tree. (I may be forced to get one this year and this may just be the thing to keep my mom from nagging me that it's not Christmas without a tree...)

Beth said...

You are so right. The true meaning does get lost in stuff! I am so happy that you have a renewed relationship with your kids and got to spend time with your grandbaby. I am also glad that the pain you had has lessened enough to allow you to be morfe mobile and even work.
I too am grateful for family and for my blogging friends who are always here to offer supportr and encouragement.

Ruth said...

All I can say after all those comments, is DITTO! It seems like sometimes the trials we go through helps us to appreciate the good times all the more. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Even a little tree with one ornament helps make the season beautiful!