Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bloggers Quilt Festival 2010 Entry

My husband and I were in the process of moving to New Mexico when I made this little quilt.  He had already left to set up house while I stayed behind to close up the old place.  I needed something to do while he was away, so I decided to take a class at a local shop...quilter's always make good company.

I think this quilt is was the catalyst for change when it comes to my "style" of quilting.  The teacher was really encouraging when it came to letting your creative side loose.  She taught us that contrast not only comes in the form of values, but also in shape, form, and texture...all of which can be applied to quilting.  She also encouraged us to have pure fun with our quilting.

It still hangs on my kitchen wall.  It's vivid, funky, and encouraging.

Happy Quilting!!


12 comments:

canuckquilter said...

How fun! i love the cats, frogs, geckos and bats hiding in there. I'm sure I've missed a few. This is one piece that is fun to come back and explore again.

Laura said...

I love this quilt! So many fun things to look at. The flower made out of cars is hilarious! Great edge treatment, too.

Windsom Winds said...

What a fun wall hanging! I like the fussy cut bugs in a circle, but I love the frogs hopping down the street. What an interesting conversation piece it must be in your kitchen.

---"Love" said...

Very interesting! I can see a dear little one discovering all those colors and shapes, and twisting the fringed edge; well, maybe not on that one, but another one that's very similar! *grin* ---"Love

Joanne said...

LOVE your wquilt. It is so unique and inspiring Hugs to you

Liriopia said...

Love it!

Liri

Katie said...

That quilt looks like it was a lot of fun to make! (It sure is a lot of fun to look at.) I love the bright colors and all the fussy cutting you did to get the cats, bats, frogs, geckos and cars into it.

Cynthia said...

I LOVE this quilt! So funky and fun! So glad you posted this!

Sandy said...

This is the kind of quilt you want to touch. I love all the bits and pieces, all the bright colours, and the fringe!
Well done.

Sandy

Laurel H. said...

O my goodness; what an amazing quilt! You are truly an artist. :)

Karen said...

This quilt looks like a lot of fun as well as a lot of work.
I love how bright and cheerful it looks.
What a great quilt!

a good yarn said...

It's a work of art! What a fantastic piece! Ann :-)